10.31.2011

Burlap Bin Craft Success

So we bought a new glass cabinet for our dining/living area and I really wanted to put a cute bin or basket on the middle shelf. I decided to get some cheap burlap and cover a box with it. Of course, I had to add some fabric flowers too. It turned out exactly as I envisioned! Here's the finished product:


And here's my shot at a tutorial...


Materials Needed:

Box - any size, any color, but in decent shape

Paint - any dark color if you have a colored or printed on box

Burlap - I had a 2 yard piece and I used about 1.5 yards in length foor my box, but only about 1/3rd of the width, so I have plenty leftover for another one!

Hot Glue Gun & plenty of glue

Ribbon & scrap fabric for embellishment


1. Perfect size box: recently purchaseed at Costco, filled with lovely pullups. I cut the top flaps off, make sure to cut them straight, but a little jagged edge won't matter much. I laid the burlap on the box & you could see the pink & purple right through it, so I painted it quickly with some grey acrylic paint. You could use any dark color, just anything that would mask the printing on the box. I had a large bottle of white & black, so I used what I had the most of & I was afraid black would be too dark. One coat was plenty and dried super quick:

2. Once the box was dry, I began wrapping my burlap around the box, starting at the back. I left about 3-4" on top & bottom to wrap around. I simiply put a bunch of hot-clue on the box, then pressed on the burlap, pulling it tight so there weren't bubbles. Be careful, the hotglue comes through the holes of the burlap, but you do need to push it down or the burlap won't stick to the hotglue. I kept going around, making sure to tack the corners and top & bottom well. I was able to keep it pretty even as I went, but a little crooked doesn't matter much, as long as there's enough to wrap around the top/bottom: 3. I left about 1.5-2" overage once I had reached my starting place. I then folded about 1" under, hotglued that and then glued it to the box/burlap underneath so I had a nice edge that wasn't rough. This picture is where I folded the edge over, but hadn't glued it yet:4. I then started on the bottom. I folded in the 2 long sides and glued them to the bottom of the box. I then trimmed the excess off the corners and wrapped them very tightly so there wouldn't be a big bump on the corner. Think wrapping a present or recovering a chair seat. Then I glued down the entire flap so it was neat, tight and as flat as can be so it would sit even:5. Then I moved onoto the top. I wanted a decent amount of hangover so you couldn't see the cardboard inside from the outside. I just started pulling it tight and moving arouond the box, glue-ing it at the top of the box and the bottom of the burlap. I was picky about making sure there weren't any folds or bubbles in the fabric:











Box = done!





Now time to make it pretty





6. I had some ivory satin ribbon, perfect for simply wrapping around to add a little embelishment. I wanted neutral/browns, but any color or a fun fabric would work depending on it's use. I started the ribbon in the back where my burlap seam was. I only glued it at the corners because sometimes the hotglue makes a mark and you may be able to see it through the ribbon. The glue is completely hidden on the corners. When I reached the end, I did the same thing, folded about 1/2" over and glued it down. The one thing to make sure of is that the ribbon is even the entire way around so it lines up perfectly in the back, don't want it crooked. 7. Then time to add a little pretty. I made 2 fabric flowers. 1 from another ivory ribbon and another from a linen fabric scrap I had. For the flowers I took about a 1" wide piece and twisted it, then glued it together, like in a swirl. Sorry I don't have a tutorial for the flowers, but there's tons of flower tutorials (check pinterest if you need some). I added some burlap scraps and additional ribbon/fabric scraps behind and glued it all on...pretty:


Hope that tutorial was clear and easy enuf to follow. If anyone makes one, show me please :)

28 comments:

  1. Love it! Pinned :) - Jill @Babyrabies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I cannot wait to make some. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could SO see doing this with a box with a lid, too, and using these on a bedroom closet shelf to hold off-season clothing! TOO CUTE! And I LOVE the price!
    Thank you for the tutorial and idea!
    HUGS and blessings to you as you make your home!
    (This post was pinned on Pinterest, by the way, it's how I found you!)
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome thrifty idea. I would have never thought of using Burlap. I'm doing something similar with vintage fabric. A bit of burlap or linen might be perfect! TFS.

    I'd love for you to add this (or future) posts to my new Thrifty Thursdays link party. Here's the link:
    http://quiltedcupcake.blogspot.com/2011/11/thrifty-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Idea - thanks for sharing it with us. I just finished my first box. I just dark brown burlap and a brown tshirt to make the flowers. It came out looking great.Not sure how to post a picture :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRILLIANT! I cant wait to try this out! =) I have it bookmarked for my crafting spree once I get some extra fabric to play with!

    Thanks! <3

    xoxo
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea, i found it on pinterest & i am getting ready to make one tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your idea! Great tutorial- easy to follow! I created mine last week and received many compliments on it! Thank you for the fun and useful craft! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea! I am making several home made gifts for my Secret Santa gift at work and this would be a great way to put them all together, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing! I featured it today on my blog I Love Farm Weddings. Here's the link: http://www.ilovefarmweddings.com/2011/12/19/handmade-burlap-card-box/

    Thanks again and hsppy holidays,
    Emily @ I Love Farm Weddings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to try this!! Thanks for the great idea :)

    Check out my blog too!!
    http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. i made one!!!! lol hard to get the burlap straigt with my 2 year old driving his truck in and out of the box while doing this... oh and my 3 month old crying the whole time. but it turned out cute still! I think i am allergic to burlap though.... my hads swelled up and itched and i must have touched my mouth too because my lips feel swolen and itchy also. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this, I was inspired to make my own! I hope you don't mind that when I posted my box on my blog I linked back here.
    Amy @ http://yellowhouseon3rd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO cute! I just tweeted it. I have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea! No more searching around for the perfect baskets, etc. I'm definitely using this idea! Thanks for being so awesomely crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. making one or two tonight! Great idea and so very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, what a great idea! I'm obsessed with burlap!! So cute! Love your blog. I'm a new follower!

    Allie @ adventuresofamiddlesister.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw your post on pinterest and love this! I actually have been saving up diaper boxes because I want to cover them or spray paint them to use to store my kids toys. I love that I was able to see a finished product before I start mine. Thanks! I am so excited I found your blog!

    Amanda@ www.guldenab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! I have been saving diaper boxes bc I wanted to reuse them for toy boxes and books, etc. But hadn't decided on how to make them pretty. Now I know what to do! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to say thank you very much, I baught burlap to cover the Santa Shoeboxes that I am doing this year but did not think of my hot glue gun! I am sure I would have struggled. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! I am making at least one (depending on the time it takes), but hopefully 4 of them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ¡Una buena idea!!
    Gracias por el tutorial.
    Feliz semana.
    Yayi.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I needed something to toss dirty laundry into in my daughters nursery, but was really on a budget, and didn't want an ugly plastic laundry basket in there. I did this using a spray adhesive, some pretty patterned purple fabric to match her room, and a little hot glue for security around the edges. I'm thinking when her clothes are too big to use this as a laundry basket, she can throw her stuffed animals or shoes into it. Maybe by then she'll have several of them! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea! I am have letter slots in our desk and I've always wanted to find boxes small enough to fit...now I can make my own! Your flowers are very pretty! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful project and great recycling for our earth

    ReplyDelete
  26. Found your tutorial on Pinterest & just loved it! To make it really cheap (and since I don't have any babies) I used 2 boxes from the post office (the flat rate type) and they are free & used burlap I had purchased for another project. Used latex wall paint from the garage to cover writing, so total cost $0! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i am really thinking to get Embroidery Digitizing Service  for marketing materials of my business.

    ReplyDelete