We had what I'll call "our first relaxing vacation weekend since Charlotte was born" this past weekend. And let me tell you, it was way overdue! Our weekend completely proved that you don't have to spend tons of money or go somewhere exotic to have a good time and appreciate the little things. The best part of all was just watching Charlotte explore, react and have fun being a silly 2-year old, outside of the schedule of everyday. She noticed every little thing and had so many hilarious little comments. It made me appreciate and realize how fun it is being a family and how amazing it is to simply watch Charlotte.
We headed to a cabin (or "farm" as Charlotte hilariously insisted on calling it) in Broken Bow, Oklahoma (Beavers Bend State Park I think) with the Millers. When this weekend planning began I have to admit, I wasn't too keen on going to a cabin in the woods for our vacation - I totally pictured the camp in The Parent Trap and made jokes about Meghan and I being like the girls in Troop Beverly Hills...Kudos to Mark who did all the planning-you proved me wrong buddy (don't get used to that)! We had a great time and the cabin (or "farm") was perfect!
We all piled into Mark's truck - 4 adults, a 2-yr old, a Cali dog and plenty of food and beverages to keep us happy (yes, it's a big truck). The drive ended up much longer than expected due to our navigation system-'cough'-Doug-, but Charlotte couldn't have been better. We spent the weekend pretty much just hanging out.
Saturday the guys made breakfast and we went for a hike. We ended up playing in the creek, throwing rocks and letting Cali roam - Charlotte could've done that for HOURS, she is still talking about throwing "wocks in da wader." We did a little paddle-boatin', then Meghan and I headed for the local ladies place: Girls Gone Wine winery. It was Meghan's mission to find a wine she liked. Mission accomplished, she found several, while we both enjoyed some girl time. Mark made us indulge all evening (he does have some culinary skills): fried quail legs (yes, even I ate them and see the photos, Charlotte devoured the dip), bbq bacon wrapped shrimp with pineapple and amazing huge steaks topped with some ridiculously delish pepper butter. Oh, and how could I forget the molten chocolate cakes...yum! Nope, that's not it, we roasted marshmallows too! Charlotte more than enjoyed her first marshmallow roasting experience and that's another thing she's still talking about.
Between Mark, Meghan, Doug and me we all agree that Cali had the best time of all (no leash, a creek to play in, attention), Charlotte probably had the second best (rules were broken, junk food was O.K. and she was absolutely in love with "the farm"), and the 4 adults are all at a tie for 3rd. It was just over too quick, like most vacations are.
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment